Thursday, December 8, 2011

I love Hexagon quilts

A couple of years ago I decided to make one. I spend a lot of time waiting in doctor offices, ER's and hospitals. So I needed something to do with my hands when I don't feel like crocheting or knitting.  


So, I love hexies. I got the idea from a vintage quilt we have that one of Steve's aunt's made. It's called the "Grandmother's Flower Garden". Her hexies are really tiny, about the size of a quarter.  I decided to do a little research on the idea and found that there are hundreds of sites about stitching hexagons into quilts. I have found that I enjoy basting them to the paper piece and hand sewing them to each other. My hexies are 1in. on the side that makes them almost 2in. across. This size maybe I can finish it before I die and it wont sit in a closet left for my children to throw away. Although I am not sure yet how big I want to make it. A king size quilt of this nature seams much to big and stressful for all the hand stitching. Then there's the quilting of it once it's done. 


Here is a picture of how I my hexi fabric cut sewn and organized for carrying with me on short and long trips.

The two pictures below are of what I have done and put together so far. It is laid out on the foot of my king size bed. I am considering making it big enough to sit on the top of my queen size bed that is in my sewing room. As you can see, it is very brightly colored.






No comments:

Post a Comment